Spoiler alert: do not read if you haven't seen the film yet!
- the lightning takes out all electrical machines and yet guy on street can film the attack with a camcorder, allowing spielberg to do the meta film of the filming shot through its viewfinder
- why didn't the aliens take over the world when they initially buried the killing machines? why wait until humans had evolved into folks with armies?
- microorganisms: haven't aliens heard of bacteria?
- aliens painstakingly check the basement of a remote farm and yet somehow the rich folks in the brownstone in Boston are unscathed, and it seems that their top concern might be that the brie got a little warm, what with the fridge not working...
- if the goal is extermination, why do it one by one?
- first the son wants to fight (patriotism, revenge) then he just wants to see: I gotta see this! (voyeurism)
- the son lives???? what?????
- and couldn't they have given him a shower or something in their unscathed brownstone? or did he just arrive 15 minutes before Tom and the kid?
- what's the blood for anyway? just the gross-out factor? sheesh
- Tom Cruise knows more about cars than the mechanic down the street
- Tom Cruise is the only one who figured out how to fix a car in the entire northeastern seaboard
- don't they have to stop for gas?
- as the world falls apart, and your kid has just seen dead bodies floating down the river you still attempt to cover your kid's eyes??
- why kill Tim Robbins' character? okay, moral quandry, but it turned out to be completely unnecessary
- morgan freeman. say no more.
finally, could they time the "I gotta pee dad" moment more perfectly? and set it next to a rushing river? yikes.