09 January 2009

Library smells


I spent the day at Teen Murti Bhavan, Jawaharlal Nehru's former residence--technically next door in the new modern library building. I discovered over the holidays that a fragrance manufacturer has synthesized "In the Library" which I pondered purchasing for my mother (a librarian) but then decided that that is exactly what she needs: to smell like her workplace. So I didn't do that. I will say, however, and I am going out on a limb because I have not, in fact, smelled the above scent, that the perfumier had never been in the Nehru Library, for he would have had to add 'eau de mothball' and waft a bit of DDT-level bug spray into the mix. Smelling (and seeing) these things at Nehru's library was disturbing (and headache inducing) but then you think: wow. what would this place be like without them? Gross.

No comments: